July 9, 2014

What to do with rain on your wedding day


This is a question I get asked a lot for the early spring and late fall weddings... but due to the rainy start which July has provided us here in Germany I thought it is good to answer this question on the Blog. First of all; I love it when couples ask questions. And this one is a good one especially in Germany ;)
Second of all; bad weather is usually not that bad and there are so many creative and fun ways to work with it.
So here are some of my ideas to make this work for your special day.

1) Ask your photographer about the Plan B before the wedding
All the photographers I know are so very happy if clients ask them for advice. We love being part of the day and share what we know. A lot of the planning are small things, but they come in handy when thought of before the day, should the not so good weather strike your day. ;)

2) Plan for back up locations
This one goes along side the first hint on the list. There are many beautiful outdoor but roofed locations you can shoot in. It is always good to think of them ahead. For example hotel entries, porches, hotel lobbies, rooms with large windows or wide staircases will do as well.




3) Bring another pair of shoes
For the case of soft rain many couples are wonderful courageous and opt to go outside for the photo session anyway. I really love this! My advice is to bring another pair of shoes.
This way you can keep your wedding shoes clean & dry for the rest of the day. Plus it is a fun accessory to bring in some color and make for unique wedding portraits.

4) Find an umbrella
Many of my couples agree to have some portraits despite the rain. Here comes an umbrella in handy. Really any colour you like. White is always elegant but some wedding themed colours would work as well or some scottish patterned? Yes, please!



5) Have an adjustable timeline
Often it does not pour the entire day and if you have your portraits planned prior to the ceremony I recommend having some time buffer in the afternoon. It does not need to be a lot, often 20-30 minutes will do, especially as a back up time.
This way I can check on the rain radar app for the clouds passing and talk to you during the day if the back-up time buffer is a good option in case of very heavy rain earlier in the day.



To finish this cute post off, let me say... there is not really bad weather!! Many of my total all time favourite wedding portraits were  taken in the rain!

Did you find this helpful? Or do you have more questions?
Let me know in the comment box below ;)

Have a great week!
And I will go back to my VitaminD.











No comments:

Post a Comment